Sunday, December 7, 2008

You're WELCOME (by Slyph)

In every society throughout the world, there is an array of customs and practices that are unique to the people of that society. So for instance, only a trinbagonian can identify when I say there is nothing better than a roti and a red solo, or a drink of coconut water around the savannah, or going to Maracas just to enjoy a Richard's bake and shark, or to Store Bay for a curry crab and dumpling. In Trinidad and Tobago, there is no christmas without ham, turkey, sorrel, pastelles, ginger beer, parang, wild meat, black fruit cake, the smell of fresh paint and vanish and lots of spending and merriment. Right after christmas we rush full speed ahead to carnival. As Trinidad and Tobago is the home of carnival, bachannal and steelpan......

A common trinbagonian phrase is "we going an buss a lime...." Now trust me, this phrase has nothing to do with the small citrus fruit that is commonly used to make juice or served with seafood. We are referring to going out with friends and have drinks in a social setting.... "We go buss ah lime friday nite", simply means a groups of friends plans to get together on friday, probably for a few drinks. Another favourite of ours is "We goin an fete", fete meaning party or dance....... In each country there is that one particular phrase, activity or dish that everyone can identify with. In Nigeria, the phrase is "You're welcome."



In Trinidad and Tobago and most countries that I have visited, the phrase "you're welcome" is used as a form of appreciation or to extend best wishes/invitation to someone.... For example, the remark of 'Thank you' is usually followed by 'you're welcome' or it is common to hear someone say 'you're welcome to join us and share in this experience'.




On my arrival to Nigeria, I was greeted by the words "You're welcome" and have been hearing them ever since. Apparently, in Nigeria, "You're Welcome" is commonly used as a greeting. So on entering any building, or meeting someone for the first time, or leaving a building/room, or requesting assistance, any encounter or attempt to engage in a conversation with a Nigerian you will be certain to hear the words - you're welcome. It's alarming..... If you ask a question, the response is 'you're welcome', you say good morning or good afternoon, you get 'you're welcome'. I can certainly assure you that Nigerian people are extremely welcoming..... Whether that's the greeting you were looking for or anticipating, you will most certainly be welcomed by any Nigerian you meet.



It was also very delightful to observe on my arrival that not only the warm, welcoming Nigerian spirit was awaiting me, but I was also graced with two brown doves ready and waiting to hatch on my window sill. Just two short days after my arrival these two birds were welcomed into the world and became a pleasant addition my morning routine. Well that was short-lived, as they quickly gained their strenghten and flew away. However, they presence brought a glimmer of hope to my new situation. Because just like them, I had hatched into a new world and was grasping at straws in an attempt to gain enough strenght in my wings and learn how to fly.
















5 comments:

  1. and fly you certainly will sis, I have no doubt in your ability. You're welcome.......smile

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aparently there are two(2) anonymous here cause i certaintly did not leave any message, so its to my surprise that i am seeing anonymous leaving mesages on tis blog, so heres a pharse for you "dies my name too" and "get your own damn name" anyway back to the wingless bird i do hope you get a pair of wings soon and get the hell out of there because i hope you take the birds example, they arrived and after a couple of days, realising that they were in Nigeria "them gone" not even them want to be there. follow suite "your welcome"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work with your sister G...and she has oh so proudly shared your experiences...up until today, when finally I have been able to log onto the this site, she has been printing the post off and putting in my mail box at work...each day I have eagerly picked them up to bring home...plop on my big comfy couch...and read. Thank you!.. you see, life as been a bit stressful in my world...work, family, but most importantly the passing of my wonderful Dad, four weeks ago...and reading your blogs made me smile...even laugh, and THAT was nice for me. I must say your airplane descriptive made me gasp :) ...but truly, was relieved when you and your Mom landed at your destination in one piece. Thank you again Sylph...look forward to reading more of your adventures. Oh, and btw, you have one heck of a very proud sister...she glows when she speaks of you.. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your welcome......I love it...Angel

    ReplyDelete