Monday, December 22, 2008

My Failed Attempt to Travel to Ghana

Last week I remember giving a friend advise to avoid getting oneself in situations where they might feel as though their back is against a wall. In life one must always have OPTIONS or an escape route. LOL!!!! Well this weekend I found myself in one of those situations, but thankfully logic prevailed and an escape route was found.


Since I arrived in Abuja, I was informed that some of the members of staff wanted to travel to Ghana for Christmas. Okay, not a problem.... In time, I began singing the same song that we were traveling to Ghana for the christmas holidays. So slowly, we began putting things in place. At first I was uncertain as to how we were going to carry out this plan, because from time to time the plans seemed to changed. And I am new to Nigeria, so I was not in a position to take charge of the planning process, because I had no idea what the planning would entail.



First item on the agenda was the issue of transportation. How are we getting to Ghana???? I was informed that the cost of air travel was too expensive and as a result was not a feasible option. Okay, so what were our other options???? We can travel via road.... Not a problem... In whose vehicle, who will be the driver? I was informed that one of the mission's drivers was from Ghana and he was heading home for christmas, as his daughter was getting married. Very good... All we need to do is find a vehicle and we are off.... or so I thought...


Coming from a different type of society where there are relatively easier access to services and various modes of transport, I suggested that we explored the option of renting a vehicle, because we already had a driver for the trip. So we begun to ask whether or not there we vehicle rental services in Nigeria. The response came back in the affirmative. How much will this cost??? We contacted the car rental company and a representative came over to our office to explain the services they offer. Now, when I suggested renting a vehicle all I was referring to was, contact a car rental company, find out the cost and once it was affordable, we rent a vehicle for our use, for the duration of our stay in Ghana and on our return, the vehicle is returned to the company. Seems simple enough to me......


The representative comes over and attempts to break down the services the company offers and the cost. However, there is a stark difference between the service we had in mind and what was being offered to us. The main difference was that the vehicle was being rented with a driver. Now if you do recall, I did mention that we already had a driver and if it was a driver we required, we would have called a taxi service.... What we were looking for was a vehicle for RENT or LET (local slang for renting). So the representative from the rental company is sitting in our office outlining what the service will entail and the cost attached. There was a flat cost for the rental of the vehicle, however, in addition to the rental cost, there was also a stipend for the driver, plus seeing that we had plan to travel outside of Nigeria, there was also the cost of accommodation and meals for the driver, which we did not want or request. So we informed the kind representative that we already had a competent driver and did not require one from the company and we were informed that vehicles were rented with driver, take it to leave it. So you don't have to ask, that option was out the door.


Option number two..... The ABC Bus company....

We then decided to explore the option of taking a bus to Ghana. We go down to the bus company and received information on the cost and duration of the trip, as well as the date to return and make the necessary booking and payment for the trip. None of us however, have ever travelled via bus in Nigeria, so their was an element of uncertainty as to the reliability of the service.


We continue to make the necessary arrangements, for example obtaining the necessary entry visas. In order to travel to Ghana by road, one has to enter two countries, Benin and Togo. So in addition to getting entry visas for Ghana, we also had to apply for visas for those two countries. So visas we obtained.


Accomodation. For this we contacted our Honorary Consul in Ghana and requested his assistance in arranging appropriate accomodation for our stay. This item was taken cared of without a glitch. So we had a place to stay. However, there was still an element of gloom as to the issue of transportation. How were we getting to Ghana????


Now in order to make the trip via road to Ghana, we would have to travel from Abuja to Lagos, which we were advised was seven hours away. On arrival in Lagos we would spend the night and depart for Ghana early the following morning. The drive from Lagos to Ghana was estimated to be approximately five hours. Okay, sounds long and tedious, but do-able, so lets give it a try. Are we really going to chance traveling via bus, which is something we have never done? Our driver insist that he was driving himself to Ghana in his vehicle, so whatever mode of transportation we selected he would meet us on our arrival in Ghana.


Now all along the planning stages, I was very excited and eager to travel to Ghana, as everyone has indicated that Ghana was very different from Nigeria and that things were more affordable. So that would give me an opportunity to shop. For that reason alone I was excited. However, for some reason three days before our scheduled departure that excitement escaped me and my mind became heavy about the trip. I began to have second thoughts and became very uncertain about the trip. And by this time our mode of transportation had changed yet again, we were now going with the driver, as we will all be together on the road and he assured that he would arrive in Lagos in a shorter time that the Bus. So why all this uncertainty all of a sudden???? Where did the excitement go??? To be honest, I cannot say, but I can assure you, it was gone, long gone. And I was left worried and pacing about, do I really want to put myself through such a long drive? There were so many elements of uncertainty and unanswered questions surrounding this trip. Why, was the only question going through my head!!!! Why? Why? Why?


We were scheduled to depart Abuja on Saturday morning at 6:30am to arrive in Ghana on Sunday afternoon. On Friday evening however, I was informed that our departure will be delayed. We will now be departing on Sunday morning. I breathe a sign of relief. Maybe this is a sign....


6:30am Sunday morning rolls along and we all jump into the vehicle and we are off to Ghana, well Lagos - where we would over night. If the journey is estimated to be seven hours we should arrived there around 2-3pm. The journey was long, real LONG and rough, very ROUGH and to add insult to injure the vehicle in which we were traveling did not have air condition. Now to be honest that was a factor we did not consider while making arrangments for the trip. However, it is something that I will never overlook while in Nigeria. We normal travel in the mission's official vehicle, which is air condition ready, so that is never an issue. So to be honest, we are never really exposed to the real elements of the road. However on this occasion with no A/C and windows down, everything from the side of the road was making its way into the vehicle. Smoke, dust, dirt, sand, flies and little insects, exhaust fumes, you name it and it was flying in on us. By the time we made it to Lagos and got out of the vehicle, we were covered in a thick layer of grime...... We were unrecognisable..... My lungs were FILLED and SCREAMING what did I do to deserve this!!!!!!!


And the best part is that the drive that was estimated as seven hours, took more like twelve hours. We left the residence prompty at 6:30 am making two rest stops and two stops to re-fuel. However, we never arrived in Lagos until minutes to seven in the evening. It took us five additional hours to get there...... My legs and butt were screaming. SCREAMING!!!!!! What did we do to deserve this!!!!!!!!! There was very little feeling in my lower region...


So we get to a little hotel and check in, but right about now the only focus is to shower and get the reminants of our days travel off of us. After showing however, reality stepped in. Am I really going to put myself through this gruesome journey again. The drive to Ghana from Lagos was estimated at five hours, however the drive from Abuja to Lagos was estimated at seven hours and look how long that took. All of the uncertainty and questions immediately returned. Why didn't I listen to the little voice of wisdom in my head and remain at home? How did I get myself involved in this? This was not my plan. Here I am going along once again, with someone else plan. And I ask myself again, WHY???? How am I to get myself out of this? Here I am, in a strange man's land, away from everything that might be familar to me, unaware of the surroundings that I am in or how to get out of. I begin to feel as though my back was against a wall...... For me that is one of the worst feelings ever, because I strongly believe that "In Life one must always have Options"....... One should always attempt to avoid situations that may limit their ability to make a decision and move on to something else. Particularly in situations that can be life changing, such as relationships, education or career. Never allow a person or thing to trap you into a situation, because later on you may just regret it. And in life we should not regret the experiences we have.


Well, after great debate and much self searching, it was clear to me that I was in a situation in which I did not want to be and had to find the closest exit. One call to the receptionist provided me with a glimmer of hope. I enquired from her what was the possibility of making flight arrangments to Abuja at the airport and she assured me that it was possible. Only then was I able to get some rest.


Early Monday morning, I had to deliver the dreaded news that I was avoiding for almost a week. However it was for the best, so it had to be said. "Mom and I will not be continuing to Ghana!!!!" There was silence, the others were shocked. But even though I knew the news would come as a surprise and might have hurt some feelings, I had to do what was most sensible for mom and I in the long run and that was to return to Abuja. So I requested to be taken to the airport so that I could attempt to make flight arrangements for our return. Now I must say that this was an extremely brave and bold move. Because I was in a strange place and so far my experience has proven that Nigeria is like no other place that I have visited, so you can never know what to expect. But I had made up my mind and I was sticking with my decision. We were heading back to Abuja and nothing was going to stop us.


So with disappointment in their voices we parted ways, as we were dropped off at the domestic airport in Lagos to make our way back to Abuja. I must say though that the process was quite smooth and happened with out a glitch. Purchasing an airline ticket to Abuja from Lagos was the easiest transaction that I have done since my arrival in Nigeria and I am not trying to be sacaristic. There was no hassle, no worry, no fuss, no fight.... I walked up to the counter, enquired when was the next available flight and the cost, paid, ticket was issued, we were directed to the check in line, we checked in, waited, boarded the flight and returned safely. And I am now able to tell the story.


So mom and I will be spending Christmas 2008 in Abuja, Nigeria and I am looking forward to it. It will be a Christmas like no other, because we are millions of miles away from both family and friends, however, its home for now and where I would prefer to be. Merry Christmas to one and all. Do have a Blessed Holiday Season.

1 comment:

  1. Sylph, u had to do it, your last paragraph had me crying at work, I am so sorry you had to experience that rough trip, but God is good and you to will have a great Christmas, love you always, talk with you tomorrow GWH

    ReplyDelete