Monday, December 15, 2008

Furniture Shopping - Part 3 (by Sylph)

We head back to the furniture district in the sahara for our third visit, one which was most unwelcomed, because I could not understand how my fabric was sold. We were there just two days ago, finalising the arrangements to commence production, or so I foolishly thought. Now, they are telling me that the fabric gone!!! Explain to me, how that possible??? Ah vew, ah damn vew to be honest.... Because I really had no intention of testing my lungs yet again. And worst yet so soon. At least allow nature to run it course and the few antibodies in the system to try and combat the impurities that had invade my being and was attempting to take up residence in my lungs. Not rush back to the sahara and open the flood gates to some more.

We arrive and are greeted "you're welcome, you're welcome", when I am actually more like - 'I'm angry, I'm angry' and the salesman immediately start making all sorts of attempts to explain and apologise and further explain and then again apologise for what had lead to this mishap. I really was not amused... Because, just two days prior, money was paid to commence production. Why wasn't I informed of this possibility. Why wasn't there any attempt to explain that the fabric was an area of concern. All I received was assurances that the job will be done and I will be satisfied. Two days later the job is yet to commence and I am highly annoyed and most certainly unsatisfied.


By now we are offered a seat, in the dusty little store and informed that the fabric, which we paid for on Monday was sold since Saturday, because we did not make a payment on that occasion. Ehhhh!!! Come again. So why the hell no one saw it necessary to inform us of this before??? If the fabric was sold on Saturday, how is it that on Monday you are giving me your assurances that the job will be done? How is it that it took two days for you to realise that the fabric GONE and not coming back? What really took place between those two day? Can anyone tell me? Because I would really like to know...


So the young man explains and explains, until I get fed-up listening and then I just requested to be taken back to the fabric store to make another selection. Only then did I begin to understand what might have transpired. Now, notice I did not say 'fullly understand', just 'begin to'. Allow me to explain... What the young man in the little furniture store neglected to mention was that he was not the owner of the little fabric store. So even though he took us there and guided us through the store, giving us tips on selecting the appropriate fabric, as well as samples of the fabric to leave with and his assurances that all was well, the fabric was not his to sell. So right there and then the rightfull owner will come in to say that I had such exceptional taste that the fabric was sold the very said day. Is this an attempt to make the situation better???? I think not...... Clearly, there was no regard for my interest, because the mighty dollar had the final say.



So yet again I make another selection. However, on this occasion, what I did not ask, is what do not exist, because I WAS NOT going back in that dust bowl to select fabric AGAIN......



I made my second selection and permit me to say, I do think it was a damn good one, however on this occasion I was also challenged with selecting samples of fabric to reupholster some furniture at the High Commissioner's residence. And this came with a twist.... She had certain colours in mind, so it had to be along those lines. For some reason however, the little fabric store simply did not have any options along the suggested colour scheme, so I am told "worry not, there are other stores that we can go to". Trust me, right there and then I should have broken out in a cold sweat, but being the newcomer I had not clue what I was in store for.




We leave my nice little fabric store and head down a dirt path.... Now all the streets in this furniture district are dirt paths, however the one we begin our journey on is like no other that I have ever seen. Its was uneven and littered with a cluster of shops, furniture, vendors, children playing, chickens picking, at what, I cannot say because as far as the eye can see is dust and more dust. We walk and walk some more and pass a multitude of small shops selling from car parts to mattress, steel doors and fencing, hardware supplies, lumber, used electronic and the list goes on and on... and then we walk some more... I start to look down at my feet and once black shoes. Everything started to take on the colour of its environs. We walk some more, then suddenly we make a diversion off one dirt path to the next. We entered a small fabric store and viewed their selection, I requested a few samples and move on to other, and then another and yet another. Ooohhhhh, my lungs have begun to get heavy and tired, time to head back. I think I have more than enough samples to take back to the office.



Two weeks later we are called by the store owner to view the progress and to receive an update as to the production of my living and dining room sets and he insists that we come and view the progress. So we are off again on visit number four. At least my lungs got a two week rest. We arrive at the district and he offered to take us in his vehicle to the production area. Words cannot describe what had unfold. But I can assure you that I viewed my furniture, which was being upholstered in the selected material and I was satisfied with the progress. We leave for the office.




One week later, yet another call.... Both sets were completed, please come and view yet again. Must I????? Come on..... We head back to the sahara yet again, now visit number five and we view the finished product and make arrangements for delivery and final payment.

I must commend the guys from the Asokoro furniture district. My furniture was delivered and I must say that I was certainly pleased. They did an excellent job, particularly considering their limited access to resources and utilites. I was quite impressed by the high quality of the work and dispite the rough start, the final product was worth the wait. Much thanks for - A Job well done....



























































































The finished product.....

































































































































4 comments:

  1. I guess you must need an inhaler treatment to clear out your lungs. I am so glad to see the finished product, and I am so happy to see you have some furniture, all you need now is guests (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gail...shall we take a few days off and go to sit on your sister's lovely new sofa? :) Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey sis, Catherine and I will be there, make sure to cook :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey how come we have not seen pics of the bed, we are dying to see the new bed with the bed with the adjustable matress. :)GWH

    ReplyDelete