Monday, December 1, 2008

The Beginning (by Sylph)



We joined the Foreign Service in March 2006 and on August 8, 2008 were presented with our instruments of transfer. Now in case you are wondering, an instrument of transfer is the letter transferring you to an overseas mission (High Commission/Embassy). I was transferred to Abuja, Nigeria.


I left Trinidad on October 23, 2008 for London, to arrive in Abuja on October 27, 2008 spending two nights in London. Thankfully, my mother agreed to embark on this journey with me. So we arrived in London on the morning of October 24, greeted by an early morning shower of rain. Even though it rained that morning, I think it was a shower of blessing because we had prefect weather for our entire stay. At no point in time it was too cold or unbearable. We stayed the John Howard Hotel, Queen's Gate, Kensington. A quaint little place, like most of London.



Now, during most of my stay in London, I could not help but question myself about whether or not I was ready to embark on this journey. As this would be my first time being so many miles away from home, for an extended period of time. I would admit, the first night at John Howard was rough, I watch mom sleep quite comfortably for most of the night. However we were able to keep ourselves entertained for the two days.



We were scheduled to depart London late evening on October 26..... Now, having worked in protocol for a couple of years and having dealt with a number of hotels and hotel reservations, I am fully aware that check out time at most, if not all hotels is 12 noon. However, considering I was not responsible for making my own hotel reservations and was certain to forward my flight itinerary to the party who did, I made the foolish assumption that they took my travel details into consideration when making the booking. A word to the wise, "never leave your hotel bookings up to a third party, always confirm your own hotel arrangements, especially your check out time". Okay, so homegirl neglected to check with the front desk the specified check out time and her flight to leave London is at 10:15 pm. So you can do the maths.......



Now here is where the trip takes a dip for sour......



Of course check out is at 12 noon, however mom and I were out until 2pm, stupidly thinking that the hotel was informed that we require a late check out. Might I repeat STUPIDLY..... So we get back at 2pm and were informed at the front desk that the hotel cleared our room because check out was at 12 noon and the hotel was fully booked on that afternoon. Now imagine my horror, in a strange land, no cell phone and no hotel room and my pick up to the airport was arriving at 7pm. Thank heavens I had the sense to pack my bags before leaving that morning.



The hotel was kind enough however, to allow us to go through our things and wait in the office until our pick up arrived. Now the pick up was other story, but I will reserve that one for now.



So we were off to Abuja. Stay turned for the Nigerian's on the plane. That was an experience.....

2 comments:

  1. hehehe Why am I cracking up already? Can't wait till the plane story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ;I am glad to know your mom accompanied you on this trip, i am hoping the ministry paid for her? I was also wondering how was this going to take a toll on on personal relationship with your loved ;ie: If you have one, it was sad to know that your colleauges did not have any insight in properly securing your stay at the hotels, anyway looking forward to hearing what happens when you land in Abuja

    ReplyDelete