Friday, December 5, 2008

To all my Peeps at Post (By Sylph)

By now you have realised that I am not the only one undergoing this transition of life at post. So today, I want to send out some love and support to my peeps, who have been scattered around the world. And no better day to do so than on the Birthday of girl in Delhi. HAPPY BIRTHDAY my dear.... I am certain this birthday would be like no other, but I wish you all the best on the year head and may you live to enjoy many, many more.....
We joined the service together and ironically we were posted together. So now, millions of miles away we struggle with time differences and limited access to reliable communications to keep in touch. Because on Friday morning at 8am in New Delhi, its only 3:30am in Abuja, while it's still Thursday at 10pm in Caracas and 8:30pm in San Jose. So you can understand our dilemma. Friends who communicated with each other on a daily basis, often sharing as much as three square meals and snack together in the office, always in each others business, whether invited or not, now have to set their alarm clock two hours earlier, simply to catch each other online and unfortunately, for some that will never work..... For those, they simply have been relying on emails to keep in touch....
So they not only dispersed us all over the world, they did it in such a strategic manner, limiting our ability to communicate, almost as if they were attempting to prevent the occurance of a revolt. But I can assure you, we will survive, and if that revolution is to take place, trust me, it will. Because the bonds that were established over the last two and a half years are certainly strong and will with-stand the test of TIME DIFFERENCE, even if it means losing a few hours sleep.
Now, this time difference thing is some serious business, because even though I have adjusted my clock to the local time in Abuja, six weeks later and my body is still functioning on Port of Spain -5hrs time. So at 12midnight in my town, my brain looking for TV6 News....... and at 8am in the morning, all my body wants to do is pull the covers up, because somehow in my head its 3am. Now you can see yet another plus of residing on-top the shop. Because I can get out of bed at 7:45am and still be on time for 8am.... Traffic is a breeze.... Gone are the days of getting up at 4:30am and hustling into Port of Spain to beat rush hour traffic and losing 2 sometimes 3 priceless hours of my day to the gruesome north-south traffic. So I rush down to the shop/mission every morning just to checkin on my girl in New Delhi. Because in her time zone, I will be the first one to sign in just around the time she will be having lunch.
So to all of my peeps at post, as we embark on this journey do remember that life is filled of choices and its the choices that we make that will transform our lives. And as we struggle to adjust on our new assignments and new time zones, do remember that you are not alone, because we came in together and we were sent out (although to different locations) together, so together we shall remain.

3 comments:

  1. Sigh, I just BARELY caught her online before she went to bed to give her an online birthday toast (white wine of course!) If I am lucky enough and I can stay awake till after 11 I usually catch her when she gets to work in the morning chat a little bit then I go to bed. It's so messed up how she is starting another day when I am finishing one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is certainly amazing, how we exist in this time difference thing. It is certain that bonds will remain, but nremember it can only do so it all of you keep the chain linked together and strong. I am pleassed to know that you are aware of the time zones and that you are making it your business to stay in touch. Continue the wonderful work you have begun, and keep though bonds strong and alive. love ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. all i can say is you all are a bunch of IDOTS together, ;we post together; we struggle together; we join together; i hope you did not have ;a man together, i am sorry that you think yu have to struggle, just remember the women in your line of work still struggling together by themslves and manless, even though some them may have names added on, tell me WHERE DEY MAN you and i both know dey just do that to collect a bigger salary, so remember dey MAN LESS TOGETHER

    ReplyDelete