Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Farewell to 2008 (by Sylph)

We have successfully made it to the end of another year and what a year it was. A year filled of memories, new beginnings, welcome and unwelcomed adventures, the promise of hope and challenges that would have only made us stronger. 2008 was definitely a year to remember. A year in which the first black President was elected in the USA and the long awaited water taxis, graced our shores and made its maiden voyage to San Fernando. This has certainly been a year for new beginnings.


A year that started off somewhat quiet and almost unsuspect, ended up being life transforming, shaking up lives throughout the world. This transformation was far reaching and could be felt in almost every aspect of human life. From the severe change in the weather patterns, resulting in an overly active hurricane season, to the worldwide financial and economic crisis and the drastic fall in oil prices. But despite it all we plod on, determined to succeed. Because in this life, survival is not just for the fit, but for those that endureth to the end.



As we come to the end of the year and reflect on the all that 2008 have brought to and in some instances taken from us, I hope we take an opportunity to truly understand and appreciate this thing we call life and the things that matter to us. I say this because at the start of 2008 even though I had an appreciation for life, I was not truly appreciative or even cognisant of all of the things that really mattered to me. You see, I had fallen into the trap called comfort zone, where everything seemed to be alright and I had little worry in the world. For me most things were readily accessible and I lived a simply life and enjoyed the simply pleasures that it afforded me. Then things suddenly changed and what was previously a simply pleasure in life became a non- existent entity and I was left with an emptiness that could not be filled by my new reality. But whenever one is faced with adversity, innovation is always a positive remedy. And in life one must always remember that we are graced with the ability to choose, so we should always choose wisely. For with every decision we take there is always a repercussion and the true test of a good decision maker is their ability to withstand the repercussions.



So now I stand firmly by my decision to travel to Nigeria, for it has taught me to be far more appreciative in life and to acknowledge and accept my new reality for what it is. Even though that reality might be harsh and brutish at times, it is the reality that has already begun to shape what lies ahead. And I most certainly look forward to the future and all that it has in store. As I am certain that it will provide me with new options and opportunities to 'Live the Life' that I am destined for. Farewell to 2008 and the good times and adversities that it might have brought my way.

1 comment:

  1. Preach on sister, sounds like the sermon I needed to hear to begin this 2009. I am going forward very hesitant,not sure of what to expect but my plan is to wait on God and see where this year will lead me. I thank HIM however,for blessing me with a strong family circle. As a trini wold say.......together we aspire, together we WILL achieve

    ReplyDelete